DARING TO BELIEVE
Daring Faith: Week 3
“This is what God wants you to do: Believe in the one he has sent.” John 6:29 (NLT)
On the first Easter morning when Jesus’ disciples John and Peter went to the place where Jesus had been buried, they found an empty tomb with the body gone. When John saw this, he believed in Jesus’ resurrection, though until then the disciples had not understood the Scriptures about Jesus rising from the dead. John 6:29 above says that God wants us to believe in Jesus. The word “believe” appears 250 times in the New Testament, and God’s people are called “believers.” The question “Do you dare to believe?” may be the most important question in your life.
“You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. … Even the demons believe this.” James 2:19 (NLT)
1. Even the devil, who tried to tempt Jesus, believed there was only one God and that Jesus was his son. What is the difference between that kind of knowledge about Jesus and the kind of belief that God wants from us?
“If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9 (NIV)
2. What do you think “Lord” means here?
3. If you pray to God every day asking to live by God’s will and not your will, what changes might take place in your life?
“For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ
but also the privilege of suffering for him.” Philippians 1:29 (NLT)
4. Why is this kind of suffering a privilege? Why would God want us to suffer for our belief?
5. What kinds of sufferings based on your beliefs in Jesus have you experienced that truly impacted your life in a personal way?
6. You may think you believe in Jesus, but how can you know for sure? What evidence should there be in your life to show that your heart believes in Jesus, and not just your brain?
“God gives strength to those who are tired;
to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy.” Isaiah 40:29 (NET)
7. What kinds of God’s power have helped you in overcoming life difficulties?
8. When people feel God has not forgiven them, what problems might arise in their lives?
9. What are examples of things that may cause people to lose their faith?
10. How can we trust what God says and promises when our lives don’t go as expected and we feel a lot of pain?