DARING TO IMAGINE
Daring Faith: The Key To Miracles – Part 4
“What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot see.” Hebrews 11:1 (NLT)
Daring faith includes daring to imagine! God-inspired dreaming often goes far beyond anything we could imagine! Through God-inspired dreaming, we learn that: (1) Our imagination shapes our life, (2) Imagining is essential to living by faith, (3) Great lives are built around great dreams, (4) God’s dream for our lives is bigger than our dreams, (5) Doubt is the enemy of imagination, (6) God’s Spirit and God’s Word fuel our imaginations, (7) Growing our character will clarify our vision, and (8) If a dream is from God, it will be connected somehow to His church and plan for the world.
Icebreaker: Discuss an assignment (such as an art or creative project) that you had to create from scratch. How did it grow and develop from initial concept to final completion?
1. Read Hebrews 11:1 above and share with the group a difficult time in your life where your faith was essential in pulling you through it.
“We set our eyes not on what we see but on what we cannot see. What we see will last only a short time, but what we cannot see will last forever.” 2 Corinthians 4:18 (NCV)
2. What have you focused on that is fogging your vision from imagining God’s possibilities for your life? By allowing the Holy Spirit to influence you, what could those everlasting possibilities be?
“May God enlighten the eyes of your mind so that you can see the hope that his calling holds for you.” Ephesians 1:18 (NJB)
3. God told Abraham when he was old and Sarah was beyond child-bearing years that he would be the father of nations. What simple messages has God shared with you that could be the fuel to ignite your imagination for a bigger dream?
“God can do anything, you know – far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by his Spirit working deeply and gently within us.” Ephesians 3:20 (MES)
4. What does Ephesians 3:20 above say about how God influences how you imagine or dream? What does “by his Spirit working deeply and gently within us” mean in this scripture? Share your experience of God working within you; what were the results of this?
5. Read James 1:5-7 a loud in your group. What does this verse say about God sharing his wisdom and how our doubt can keep us from receiving it? Why is doubt the enemy of imagination – and even a dream killer? How has doubt had an impact on your dreams and on God’s dream for you?
6. Taking into consideration that the size of your God determines the size of your goals, read Mark 9:22-24 and share circumstances in your life in which you could use the father’s words in this scripture as a prayer. Having admitted any doubt, pray with your group believing that the Lord will help you.