Daring to Plant in Faith: the key to Miracles
Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is like someone who plants seed in the ground. Night and day, whether the person is asleep or awake, the seed still grows, but the person does not know how it grows.” Mark 4:26-27 (NCV)
God has created laws of planting and harvesting that apply not only to farming, but to every area of our lives. This law pertains to all, not just believers in Christ. It begins when we first plant a seed. Although we may not be around at the time of harvest, the seeds we sow will create a crop – for good or for ill. It all depends on what you plant. When you plant prayer, love, and kindness you get a great harvest of rewards. When you plant laziness, irresponsibility and stinginess you get a very poor harvest. Let’s talk more about the benefits of daring to plant in faith.
God said, “Let the land have seed-bearing plants and trees that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their varieties.” Genesis 1:11
- A seed is anything of value that we give away. What seeds are you planting today, in your relationships, your finances, your time? Briefly share one area where you need to sow more carefully. What next steps will you take?
“I sent you to reap where you didn’t plant; others had already done work before you, and you will gather the harvest.” John 4:38
2. How do you feel knowing your life will affect future generations? Even though you may never see the effects of your life’s work, what do you need to change to leave a more faith filled legacy?
“Some seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times.” Mark 4:8
3. Where have you seen this principle of multiplication in your life already? Whether or not you have seen a great harvest in the past, today you can sow more of yourself. What part of you will you give away to reap an even larger harvest in the future? How do you think God will use your faith in this area to mold your character?
“Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy. They weep as they go to plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the harvest!” Psalm 126:5-6 (NLT)
4. Read the above scripture aloud together. How can you plant by faith when you don’t feel like sowing the seed? What was it like when you planted a seed (for example: generosity, kindness, giving hope to others, money, and time) when you were tired, stressed, or even grieving? What harvest did you have “with shouts of joy”?
5. Read Mark 4:26-27 at the top. What seeds have others planted in your life that are now being harvested? If you could change them, what would you have wanted planted in you?
“The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller.” Proverbs 11:24 (Mes)
6. In what areas of your life do you need to be more generous? How will you accomplish this?